Sunday, January 17, 2010

Java JRE, IE8, and 64-bit systems...

I just put Windows 7 Ultimate on my HP QuadCore laptop, and after downloading and installing the latest 64-bit JRE from SUN, I found that it didn't appear to actually install properly. Applets wouldn't load, but java showed up through the command line. So, I went to 'manage add-ons' in IE8, and saw only 1 of the usual 2 SUN plug-ins. I figured I'd just had a screwy install, so I removed, re-downloaded (you never know) and re-installed. Bang, same problem.

At this point, I usually slow down and ensure I'm not being a complete idiot about something and I carefully evaluate my actions. Yes, this is Windows 7 Ultimate x64, yes I downloaded the x64 JRE 6, update 17. Ok, time to google. People having problems with this? After sifting through the inevitable mountains of detritus trying to find a nugget of useful information (should I have used Bing? ;)) I ran across a tiny little comment in forum about 17 posts down saying "Make sure it's IE8 x64 you're using..." Click. No way, I thought. I could understand and appreciate why Microsoft would install two versions of IE8 on an x64 system, but I figured there's no freakin' way the default IE to be used would be the 32-bit version, right? Wrong.

Turns out that that the default IE8 that shows up 'pinned' to the taskbar is the 32-bit version. Jerkoffs... So, 30 seconds later I had both added a quick launch toolbar to the tastbar (some idiot decided to remove this from Windows 7) and replaced 'IE8' with 'IE8 (x64).' Bingo applets showed up.

1 comment: